The Holy Name of Yahweh in the Testaments
Prologue: The following list of Biblical verses underscores the importance ancient Israel in all the three sections of the Biblical record attached to the NAME of God, Yahweh. This Holy Name is connected in the Torah with redemption from political bondage and sexual bondage and the Torah consciously states that the prophecy and mission of Moses was of radical historic importance. With the Name of Yahweh, Israel is no longer an Abrahamic culture! See Exodus 6:3 "For I appeared to Abraham and to Isaac and to Jacob through "EL SHADDAI," and My Name YAHWEH, I did not make known unto them!"
The student may double-check the accuracy of the following translations by looking at the New Jerusalem Bible (Catholic) translation or in the Holman Christian Standard Bible (Protestant) translation which honors the integrity of the Divine Names in the original Hebrew. Elohim is translated as "God", Adonai is translated as "The Lord," while Yahweh, Yah, El and Shaddai are kept in their original form. Not all versions of the New Jerusalem Bible have this feature. NJB's ISBN is #0-385-14264-1 (edition with notes and cross-references) or #0-385-46961-6 (deluxe edition) or #0-385-49320-7 (edition without cross- references). HCSB's Psalms and Proverbs translation's ISBN is #0-840-04142-X. There is an out-of-print edition that honors the Name of Yahweh: Rotherham's Emphasised Bible ISBN 0-825-43601-X.
The JPS (Jewish Publication Society) also substitutes YHWH's Name with the "LORD." Perhaps in the future, the use of the Anglicized Tetragrammaton (YHWH) will prevail in Jewish publications instead of any specific translation or vowelized transliteration. There are also a number of Jewish orthodox translations that use "Hashem" (the Name) instead of "the LORD" in their translations.
There are also books that isolate the Yahweh stories according to the unknown author or school of scholars called J. For example, the popular work The Book of J was written by Harold Bloom (translated by David Rosenberg) ISBN 0-679-73624-7. Also please note that the third person masculine in Hebrew is a default for any noun which is either masculine or feminine. If Yahweh is one, then there is no gender in Yahweh.
1. Exodus 3: 13-15 Moses then said to God: "Behold I am going to address the Israelites saying to them: 'The God of your ancestors sent me to you." When they ask me: "What's His/Her Name!?" then what should I respond to them?" And God said to Moses:" (Eheyeh Asher Eheyeh) I am that which I am becoming!" And He continued: "Thus shall you say unto the Israelites: "(EHeYeH) I AM sent me to you." (Note that now there is a break in the dialogue in which Moses is silent). But then God spoke once again unto Moses: "Thus shall you say unto the Israelites "YaHWeH (the One who causes all to be) the God of your ancestors, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob sent me to you. This is My Name for eternity and this is My Remembrance from generation to generation."
2. Psalm 135:13 "Yahweh is Your Name forever; Yahweh is Your Remembrance from generation to generation."
3. Psalm 116:13 "I will lift up the cup of salvation and call out in the Name of Yahweh!"
4. Psalm 122:4 "For there (i.e. in Jerusalem) the tribes ascended, the tribes of Yah, a testimony for Israel, giving thanks to the Name of Yahweh."
5. Psalm 105:1 "Give thanks to Yahweh, call out in His/Her Name, make known among the peoples His/Her deeds."
6. Psalm 124:8 "Our help is through the Name of Yahweh, Maker of heaven and earth."
7. Psalm 33:21 "In Him/Her our heart rejoices! In His/Her holy name we trust!"
8. Jeremiah 3:17 "At that time they will call Jerusalem "The Throne of Yahweh" and all the nations will be gathered unto her for the Name of Yahweh and for Jerusalem and they will no longer walk in the stubbornness of their evil heart."
9. Jeremiah 10:25 "Pour Your wrath on the nations who knew You not, and on families who called out not in Your Name -- for they consumed Jacob and ate him up completely and laid waste his habitation."
10. Deuteronomy 18:5 "For in him (i.e. the Levite) Yahweh your God chose from all the tribes to stand and to serve in the Name of Yahweh, he and this children for all days."
11. Deuteronomy 28:10 "Then all the peoples of the earth will see that (the) 'Name of Yahweh' is called upon (i.e. associated with) you, and they will reverence you."
12. Malachi 1:11 "For from the shining of the sun and its going down, My Name is great among the nations and in every place there is incense and contribution to My Name and pure poor offerings - for My Name is great among the nations has said YHWH Tseva-ot, (Creator of all).
13. Malachi 2:2 (an address to the Priests) - "If you continue to refuse to listen and if you continue to not place it on your heart to give honor to My Name, says Yahweh of all Armies, then I will send to you the curse and convert your blessings into the worst curses because you are not paying attention!"
14. Isaiah 43:7 "All who are referred to by My Name, for My honor I created them, reformed them, also remade them." (Hebrew has the singular third person)
15. Isaiah 42:8 "I am YHWH, that's My Name, and My honor I will not assign to any other, neither (transfer) My praise over to human inventions."
16. Isaiah 63:16 "Surely You are our Father (Parent); surely (even) Abraham won't know us and Israel (i.e. Jacob) won't recognize us -- You Yahweh our Parent are our redeemer -- Your Name is most ancient."
17. Isaiah 52:5-7 "'Now what am I doing here?' declares Yahweh, 'for My people are dismissed as nothing, their conquerors celebrate obscenely, declares Yahweh, and My Name is constantly being despised."
18. Zachariah 14:9 "Then Yahweh will be Sovereign over all the earth; on that day Yahweh will be one and His/Her Name one."
19. In Matthew Chapter 3 which describes John the Baptist preparing the Way, it declares: "This is He who was spoken of through the prophet IsaiahÉ"A voice is calling out in the desert "Clear the Way for Yahweh, in the wilderness make straight a path for our God!" (Isaiah 40:3
In the temptation story (Matthew Chapter 4) which represents the very spiritual formation of Jesus, the time in which he is forged into who he is to become, Jesus quotes back to Satan the following verses -- all of which clearly are Yahweh verses but poorly translated as such by the Gospel editors:
20. "For not on bread alone can man live but on each utterance of the mouth of Yahweh shall man live." (Deut. 8:3)
21. "Don't test Yahweh your God" (Deut. 6:16)
22. "Fear only Yahweh your God, and serve only Him, and in His Name only shall you swear." (Deut. 6:13)
23. In Matthew Chapter 22, Jesus summarizes the Torah with the two well-known verses that few understand are both Yahweh verses: "Love Yahweh your God with all your heart, and with all your soul and with all your possessions." (Deut. 6:5) and "So love thy neighbor as thyself - I am Yahweh!" (Lev. 19:18)
24. When Jesus entered his synagogue in Nazareth, he read a Haftarah (the Prophetic reading selection that is recited in every Synagogue on the Sabbath Day) from Isaiah that included the following words according to Luke 4:18, 19: "The Spirit of the Lord Yahweh is upon me -- for Yahweh has anointed me to proclaim the news to the humble" etc. Even though the Gospels themselves rely on the Greek Septuagint, here Jesus himself read directly from the Hebrew text in which Yahweh's Name was specifically cited by this Gospel as the source of Jesus' mission. The complete thread of all these verses specifically noted in the Gospels as Jesus' direct teachings in the Torah cannot be mere coincidence: Jesus knew the Holy Name of Yahweh and served Yahweh and wanted us to know that!
Translations of the above Tanach verses are all by Rabbi Monty Eliasov.
© The Twelve Tribe Torah Institute, Inc. Version 3.12
Permission is given to freely distribute this list.
Whenever reprinting or emailing, please include this copyright information.